9/9/07

Bad bugs

We've got a bit of a bug problem at our home and my DIY pest control system is obviously not keeping up.

I've been keeping a running tally for the past two years. You may not be able to tell from the photo, but with last night's hunt yielding 19, my year to date total is
115 scorpions.

Gratefully, >100 of those have been outside the home. If we had that many in the house I think I would torch the place and start over.

The Arizona bark scorpion is regarded by many as the worst scorpion in North America. Black Widows aren't fun either. Our plentiful supply of wolf spiders don't even register by comparison to these two villains. I can't figure out why we have only seen a few sewer roaches in the three years we have lived in this house...

We finally hired an exterminator a couple of weeks ago. When the guy showed up with tattoos creeping up his neck and his skull belt buckle, Becky wasn't sure what was scarier the scorpions or the exterminator. The fact that, for his own sake, he didn't wear a mask or gloves wasn't very encouraging either.

On that note, handshakes are generally a good idea when you meet someone. However, when you just replaced your radiator (greasy) and you've been spraying poisonous chemicals all day -- it is probably advisable to dispense with the custom.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

that scares me, don't let Sophie go crawling outside by herself!

Jason Bagley said...

Rich, you need to subdue the earth and it's beasts with all-natural pest control. We use it and it's great. And safe....just looking out for my nieces and nephews.

Richard said...

BTW - The piece of paper with tick marks on it is the bounty I offer my kids if they find one.

I want to encourage everyone to keep their eyes peeled for these vermin.