9/15/07

5,000,000 steps

I bought this Sportbrain pedometer on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10 right before Thanksgiving 2005. I have worn it almost everyday since.

This pedometer is different from regular pedometers in that it hooks up to your computer and links to the Internet. So you not only get your total steps for the day but you also can see a graph of when (time of day) and how active your day was. Plus, it stores your information for a short period of time so you don't have to write everything down if you are trying to track things over time. Like I was...

Being a semi-nerd (or to use the term my wife prefers, "funk-nerd") , I have been tracking the results for almost two years now. I walked 4,830,499 steps in 2006. My goal is to exceed 5,000,000 this year. I need to average 13,699 steps per day in order to do so. My YTD average is 13,834. I'm almost always over 20,000 on Saturdays. My record day was 33,246.

If you want to get REALLY serious about tracking how active you are, you can upgrade to the Body Bugg:

Unfortunately, it is both expensive to buy and requires a monthly fee to use. But if you're serious, it could be worth it.

P.S. I was having a "How was your weekend?" conversation with one of my co-workers, who also happens to have this same pedometer, and I mentioned that my family took things slow on Sunday as part of our observance of the Sabbath. She immediately asked to see what my Sunday pedometers numbers looked like and I was a bit embarrassed at how "active" I was on my supposed day of rest! Kind of funny. The Pharisees and Sadducees would have loved this thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

5M steps, eh?! Pretty impressive. I fear that if a pedometer was strapped to me I might register a scant million. I'm chained to my cubicle for most of day, and the chain is only long enough to reach to the water cooler and restroom.

As for your heretical steps on Sunday, REPENT. Of course, the best way to reduce your Sunday steps would be to seek out additional meetings. One would have thought that being EQ Pres would have been a sufficient guarnatee of meeting-induced inactivity, but it appears you may need to seek more meetings. In which case I hope you don't find the drone of a meeting to be the soporific I do.
Jared Sorensen