9/26/07

An automotive tragedy

The first time I see a new car model in the wild is always a special moment for me. Unfortunately, I witnessed an automotive tragedy a couple of weeks ago.

I really liked the look of the original Subaru Tribeca. My hands-down favorite part about the car was the funky front end:

I don’t know why but it looked “European” to me (code for: a lot cooler than most American cars).

Here comes the sad part…check out the 2008 model:

Apparently someone at headquarters didn’t like the old front end. The new one looks comparatively boring.

Bummer.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

I have to agree with you on this.....it is like they took a step backwards in design

austinmcraig said...

Yup. No explaining that one. It looks worse now.

Rand LeSueur said...

Richard....true, a new car in the "wild" is such a beautiful sight.

Anonymous said...

Richard, Agreed--regarding the Subaru Tribeca. The grill was the thing that set it apart from the masses of other crossovers.

One of my car magazines praised the change saying Subaru thankfully realised their mistake and changed it as quickly as they could.

Dad