10/16/08

Looking like a landslide

<<ScreenShot_1 16-Oct-08.gif>>

Thanks Austin for telling me about Intradelike IEM, fascinating.

The Debate: I tried to be very objective when I watched the debate last night.  Im a true swing voter.  I want to like McCain much more than I actually do like him.  I wish I was more excited about the Republican option.  Romney would have been much more compelling. 

I think McCain did TERRIBLE last night.  He came across as angry and befuddled.  His grimacing throughout the process looked strange.  He kept focusing on trivialities.  His attacks just bounced off Obama.

Social Conservatism My brother Andrew made an interesting point a few days ago: many social conservatives make single issues, like abortion, a deciding factor in their voting decisions.  Yet, despite 2 Reagan terms, 1 Bush senior term, and 2 Bush junior terms (20 of the last 28 years with pro-life Republicans at the helm)Roe vs. Wade has remained unchanged.

Im extremely pro-life, but maybe, just maybe, we need to consider the full spectrum of issues when making our voting decisions.

Constitutional Confusion:  At what point in our history did Presidents start talking like they are the ones who make the laws?  I find it mildly humorous that presidential candidates always talk about when Im president this is how its going to be..  Last time I read the Constitution, the legislative branch makes the laws, the executive branch enforces the laws, and the judicial branch interprets the laws.  Remember: checks and balances.

All these grand plans that McCain and Obama quibble about like universal health care and changing the tax code only become realities if congress makes it so. 

4 comments:

Emily said...

Well said, all of it.

Emily said...

Oh, except I don't think McCain did a bad job. They both made good points. But I liked that he gave Obama an opportunity to explain some of the things Repubs are using against him. It put a lot to rest for me.

Angela said...

I agree that Roe V. Wade will not likely ever get overturned, and even if it did, I imagine it would go over about as well as (and last even shorter than) prohibition. But I don't think I would say that was the only issue, or even the most important issue, to me as a republican.

JB said...

The only way to overturn Roe v Wade is to replace the activist Judges that votes for it in the first place. The big O has made it clear that he will place these activist type judges. Do I trust that Mac will only place strict constitutional judges in, I do not know. I am certain that I will like his judges, which will most certainly become open in the next 4-8 years. Judges will likely make more impact on the future of the nation than the President.