10/1/07

The Mid-Afternoon Dip

I’ve been nibbling on an interested book about sleep for several months now (as in, it is on my night stand and I read a few pages periodically right before I…go to sleep). Incidentally, I don’t recommend that you think too much about sleep right before you try to do it. It's too much pressure!

The book is called Power Sleep and it is by the sleep researcher who coined the term “power nap”:

The author includes the following two diagrams on pages 48 & 49 that have thus far been my favorite insight from the book:

The second figure illustrates that at all times during the day we have two forces working on us: a “wakefulness” force and a “desire to sleep” force. In other words, at any point during the daytime if you lay down on your couch you could probably fall asleep.

The reason I thought the graph was so interesting is the fact that it shows a significant mid-afternoon dip in wakefulness. I thought I uniquely suffered from this condition – and suffer I do. Turns out it is common in our species.

You could basically set a clock by my profound desire to take a nap at exactly 3:00 PM. I am more tired at 3:00 PM than at any other time of day. I wish I could relocate my mid-afternoon tiredness to 10:30 PM.

Nature wants us to take a siesta!

7 comments:

Summer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

I enjoyed your entry. I think the siesta is fabulous. I have made the mistake of trying to use a 44 oz. Diet Coke from Sonic (extra ice and lime juice) to combat the "drop", but found that it only postpones it and makes it worse when it appears a few hours later.

Rand LeSueur said...

Richard, in Figure 4.2 it clearly indicates that those collar tabs we use in our dress shirts is the main cause of drowsiness in the mid-afternoon.....at least thats what I gather.

Richard said...

You mean all those free collar stays from the dry cleaners are really a disingenuous ploy to make us fall asleep on the couch and wrinkle our freshly pressed clothes?

That's diabolical!

Rand LeSueur said...

Damn it Richard Im a doctor not a scientist!

Aunty Belle said...

Oh, mercy--where does one get that chair?? The napping chair?

Anonymous said...

I wonder how much this changes with age? Only i'm 18 and tend to have a dip at about 4:00. It does seem that adolescent body clocks are shifted towards the evening generally.

I use coffee.