11/18/07

Listening to podcasts at 2x normal speed

Here is an excerpt from an email that I recently wrote to my friend about how I listen to podcasts at faster-than-normal speeds...

"There are far more fascinating podcasts out there than I can possibly consume. I’ve switched over almost entirely to NPR podcasts in the car instead of live NPR. I do miss out on traffic and weather updates but I also get to skip all the crap happening in Iraq. And I’m pretty sure they are going to tell me it is going to be hot and sunny into infinity.

I use iTunes as my tool for finding and subscribing to podcasts but I have found that Windows Media Player will automatically grab what iTunes has pulled down (not everything, but most everything). Within WMP I use the speed control settings:



I usually listen at 1.4 or 1.5 normal speed but sometimes I do go as high as 2.0. After a little while you don’t notice that they are speaking fast. I usually listen to “Marketplace” in 15 minutes instead of the regular 30.

I REALLY wish I could do something similar with my iPod. Apple must have some proprietary agreement with Audible.com because as far as I know only audio books downloaded from Audible can use the “Faster” playback setting in the iPod (maybe audio books from iTunes as well, but I haven’t tried it). I don’t know if you can adjust the speed of everything in the Zune player, but if it can it would almost be a compelling enough reason for me to get one."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive! 1.5 - 2x efficiency gains make me jealous. Have you considered leveraging the concept with Becky? If she prerecorded her thoughts of the day on a digital audiorecorder then you could listen to it later at 2x. What's more, given that you've been married ~12y, you could probably listen to any recurring topics at 4x . . . just don't mention your increase in efficiency to her.
Let me know if it works ;)

Jared

Lorin and Liza said...

Okay, so I am a little slow at getting to this bog stuff...
Question: Give me a little more info. Do you sign up for the podcasts that you want and they are downloaded regularly or what?
I have a MP3 player and have really gotten into listening to books. I have read three books in the last two weeks. I can take it out cross country skiing with me. Then I get exercise for the body and the mind and I have a great view too.Liza