1/5/09

2008 Readings

I set a crazy goal to read 100 books in 2008. This really was crazy for me since not very many years ago I set a goal to read 10 books…and I think I came up short that year.

So, how’d I do? Although I didn’t reach the century mark, I absolutely crushed any prior year in my life: I read over 70 books in 2008.

So, what’s that catch? There are a few caveats:

  1. I probably was only looking at ink on paper for a few of these books. Translation: I am a HUGE audio book fan.
  2. I listen to audio books at between 1.5 and 2.0 times normal speed. Yes, I speed read audio books. Here is my prior post on how I do it.
  3. Some of these “books” are very, very short. Several of the ones on Project Management were in the 90 minute range.
  4. Some of what I am counting as “books” aren’t books. Example: The Constitution of the United States. Regardless, I’m glad I read it.
  5. Some of these are re-reads of prior year favorites.
  6. As you can see, the vast majority of these are non-fiction.
  7. I did not include any of the countless times I have read “Good Night Moon”, “The Runaway Bunny”, “Chickachickaboomboom”, “Where the Wild Things Are”, or “When Sophie Gets Angry”. P.S. Don’t tell Sophie that I frequently turn more than one page at a time.

With those caveats, below are most (I may be missing one or two) of the “books” I “read” during 2008 with brief comments for most (several aren't even worth commenting about):

  1. Joseph Smith & His Relationship with God. Enjoyed it
  2. The 8th Habit. I’m a big Covey fan, but this seemed contrived. Stick with 7.
  3. Made to Stick. Very good. Should be required reading for anyone in the business world.
  4. Great Speeches of the 20th Century. Educational
  5. The Tipping Point. I LOVE all of Gladwell’s stuff. Third time reading this.
  6. Principle Centered Leadership. Very good
  7. Hebraisms in the Book of Mormon. Very interesting
  8. The Wisdom of Crowds. One of my favorite books in recent years. This was my third or fourth time reading it.
  9. Blink. Very good. Third time reading this.
  10. Words that Work. You may disagree with the man behind this book, but his content is good
  11. 25 Things to Say to the Interviewer. Lame
  12. Analyzing Financial Statements. A snoozer
  13. Freakonomics. Interesting. I disagree with some of his findings. Second or third time reading it. Check out his research on infant car seats on TED.
  14. Rich Dad’s Guide to Becoming Rich. Simple, powerful concepts that 99% of the people don’t heed
  15. How to Make People Like you in 90 Seconds. Lame
  16. Super Crunchers. A contender for my favorite book of the year. I’ll definitely re-read this one.
  17. The Birth of Plenty. Similar tone as Collapse. I enjoyed it. The author is not LDS, but he identifies 1820 as the pivot point in western prosperity. Coincidence??? I’ll re-read this one.
  18. The Woman in White. Fiction Alert! Becky read this in her book club, so I was curious.
  19. The Blue Ocean Strategy. Started, expired before I could finish. I plan to finish in ‘09.
  20. The Declaration of Independence. Words to live by
  21. The Constitution of the United States of America. Read it
  22. The Bill of Rights. Now I know
  23. The No Ass Hole Rule. Summary: don’t be a jerk and avoid them at work
  24. A Perfect Mess. A few valid points. It received so much buzz from messy people looking for validation.
  25. Crashes, Booms, & Panics. Timely read
  26. 22 Immutable Laws of Branding. Educational. Second or Third time on this one.
  27. Living the 7 Habits. Great. At least my third time through this one.
  28. Getting to Yes. Good
  29. Stumbling Upon Happiness. Interesting. I will probably re-read.
  30. The Happiness Hypothesis. Started, expired before I could finish. Will finish in ’09.
  31. The Automatic Millionaire Homeowner. Skip it
  32. Wikinomics. Very good. Way too long. Find an abridged version. Their point was very convincingly made long before the book ended.
  33. The Long Tail. A must read.
  34. The Mormon Way of Doing Business. Good
  35. Crucial Conversations. Decent. As I am writing this I can’t remember anything about this book.
  36. Crucial Confrontations. Same as above. I can’t remember anything about it.
  37. You: The Owner’s Manual. Very good. Read it.
  38. Optimal Thinking. Stupid. I stopped after a couple of chapters.
  39. Personal Efficiency Program. Good stuff
  40. Freedomnomics. Some professor’s response to Freakonomics. It expired before I could finish it. I will probably not finish.
  41. Men Are From Mars Women are From Venus. Summary: Men, the challenges you have with your wife are not unique to your wife; you would have similar challenges with any woman. So, love the one you’ve got. There’s probably some advice in there for woman as well.
  42. Mars & Venus in the Bedroom. Read it
  43. Blown to Bits. Good
  44. 101 Best Answers to Interview Questions. Unless, of course, you are in a behavioral interview…
  45. 250 Job Interview Questions. May help to get you thinking
  46. Total Workday Control. Still working on this one…not available in audio format!
  47. Gold, Hard Money, & Financial Gurus
  48. Innovative Strategies in Risk Management
  49. Project Management: So you think you are done?
  50. Project Management: Taming wicked projects
  51. Project Management: Ten questions your sponsor should ask
  52. Predictably Irrational. A contender for my favorite book of the year
  53. 50 Killer Ideas for Delivering Successful Projects
  54. In Defense of Food. I highly recommend
  55. Talking Your Way to the Top. Summary: Chances to speak (in meetings, giving presentations) are your best chance to shine at work
  56. Work Less, Make More. Forgettable
  57. The Articulate Executive. Sadly for the authors, I don’t remember anything about this book
  58. Twilight. Fiction Alert! Stephenie is my friend.
  59. The World is Curved. Absurdly timely. The guy knows what he is talking about.
  60. New Moon. Fiction Alert!
  61. Eclipse. Fiction Alert!
  62. The Host. Fiction Alert!
  63. Discover Your Inner Economist. Good
  64. The On-Time, On-Target Manager. Weak
  65. The Secret. Forgettable: whatever the Secret is, I can’t remember it
  66. How to Talk to Anyone. Why do I keep selecting books like this? Had one piece of advice I remember: Never give empty “Thank Yous”. Make it clear why you are thanking someone.
  67. Monsters of Templeton. Fiction Alert! A very enjoyable read. Warning: Contains about 10 F-bombs and acknowledges the existence of sex.
  68. Living Well in a Down Economy. Clearly a rush-to-publish job with innovative gems like “bring a lunch from home”
  69. Buyology. Quite interesting. Anyone in Marketing should read.
  70. Why We Buy. If you interact with the retail world in any way, you will enjoy reading this book. I liked it better than Buyology.
  71. Breaking Dawn. Fiction! I was hoping for a little more action in climactic final “battle”
  72. Midnight Sun. Fiction! I’m about halfway through actually reading this (eyes on the page…or computer screen in this case)
Here are my favorite new reads for '08 (I'm excluding some of the great books, like Blink, on the above list that were re-reads for me):

  • Made to Stick
  • Super Crunchers
  • The Birth of Plenty
  • Words that Work
  • Wikinomics
  • The Long Tail
  • You: An Owner's Manual
  • Predictabley Irrational
  • Why We Buy

7 comments:

Dan said...

This is good. now I don't have to read any lame books. I'll just use your list.

pam said...

What I want to know is how long it took you to keep track of the books you read for the whole year, and how long it too you to do the post about all of them? I too am a big fan of audio books, but listen to a lot more fiction than you do. I guess I should be spending more time trying to improve my mind!

Ben and Shara said...

What a great list. I chuckled over a few of the descriptions. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check em out.

two thumbs up for audio as well.

Emily said...

Richard, you are a fascinating specimen of a human being. This list tells me what everyone has known all along: you picked the right major in college. Not everyone can say that, so good job.

Bryant said...

You would probably enjoy "The Year of Living Biblically." Jeanne and I both enjoyed this book.

Jon + Kat said...

I'm impressed with your goal. Unfortunetely for me, I think I read 100 books, and out of that, I don't think any were really worth admitting I read--although I did read the Twilight series and The Host at least twice this year. Maybe in 2009 you can do what I do and revert back to junior high reading. Meg Cabot has excellent teeny-bopper books and you are sure to reach the century mark! Oh-and on audio, they take maybe 2 hours to listen to!

Brent said...

Thanks! Very useful list.
I used to "read" a fair number of books when I had a commute, but this past year I haven't read much. I think this list will inspire me. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hope everyone is well.

Brent