8/22/08

A lucky penny

I figure it takes one second to stoop down and pick up a penny on the ground. If you do the math, that is equivalent to earning $36.00 per hour ($0.01 x 60 secs x 60 mins = 3600).

Therefore, from a purely econimic benefit point of view, here is what it is worth on an hourly basis to pick up the following coins:

1 penny = $36.00 per hour

1 nickel = $180.00 per hour

1 dime = $360.00 per hour

1 quarter = $900.00 per hour

Think about that next time you see something silver on the ground.


3 comments:

pam said...

I distinctly remember you telling me some years ago that it wasn't worth picking up pennies spotted on the ground. Must be the inflation making it worth while now.

JB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JB said...

I have two issues with this line of thinking. I think it takes from start to finish longer than one second. I timed myself casually bending at the waste and picking up an imaginary penny ten times without walking, it took 23 seconds. Secondly, if you picked up pennies for a living, I think you would have serious back problems. Those are my thoughts on the subject.